Do you know the many benefits of BCBA membership?
Download/print the BCBA Membership Application
- How many times have you been in court and realized you left a document in the printer at your office ... 25 minutes away? No problem. The Bar Office has a fax machine available.
- Do you really want to drag your heavy winter coat to a courtroom, knowing you will forget to take it with you at the end of the day? And what about that wet rain coat and umbrella? No problem, hang it in the Bar Office. If you forget it, we will call you!
- Need a designated meeting place for clients and/or witnesses? No problem. Ask them to meet you on the bench outside of Room 100 on the first floor, plaza level.
- Need a document notarized? No problem. Notary services available to members only, in the Bar Office, at no charge.
- Thirty minutes between court appearances, but you could really use a cup of coffee or glass of water? No problem. Fresh coffee, water and - more importantly - chocolate and mints, available for you.
- Left your cell phone in the car and need to check in with your office? No problem. Feel free to make calls from the Bar Office.
- Need to look up a case (while the Judge is doing the same at a recess), or print an Order to be signed before you leave? No problem. The Bar Office has a computer (with internet access) and printer available to members, as well as a copy machine.
- Do you need wi-fi access in the courthouse? No problem. Feel free to access the BCBA's wi-fi while in the Bar Office.
The Bar Office is conveniently located on the first floor of the County Courts Building, and is there to serve its members. It is also the "hub of the courthouse," frequented by other attorneys, Judges and Masters throughout the day. Stop in to say hello, find out what is going on, or any of the above reasons. We are here to make your day in Towson more manageable, whether your office is close, or far away.
Audio Visual Equipment
The BCBA has several pieces of equipment available for rental. BCBA Members receive the first-day rental FREE. However, you MUST call the Bar Office to reserve equipment (410-337-9100).
- Television with DVD player and HDMI connections (on an AV cart)
- 70" HDTV with DVD player and HDMI connections
- CD Player
BCBA members receive the first-day rental FREE. See Video Equipment for a complete list of rental fees and policy.
Continuing Legal Education
BCBA committees host more than 75 programs throughout the Bar Year, which are FREE or minimally priced for BCBA Members. These include general "nuts and bolts" programs, as well as area-specific seminars. Most programs are held in the County Courts Building, 401 Bosley Avenue, Towson. Some committees host monthly dinner meetings at area restaurants and country clubs. Please see the Calendar or Committee Reports for currently-scheduled programs.
American Bar Association Publishing 15% Discount
Any time you purchase books, periodicals, or journals from the American Bar Association, use this code when checking out PAB0EBCB (that is a zero in the middle!), and receive a 15% discount. In addition, you will be supporting the Baltimore County Bar Association, because the ABA will send us 15% of the sale! Woo-hoo, we LOVE non-dues revenue!
The BCBA "Bar Year" is July 1 - June 30. The Bar Year is kicked off with the Annual Stated Meeting usually held on the third Thursday of June in Ceremonial Courtroom No. 5, 400 Washington Avenue, Second Floor, Towson. At this meeting, outgoing Committee Chairs give their final report and recap of the year's activities; incoming Committee Chairs are introduced; the annual Budget is provided and approved; and the incoming President, Officers and Executive Council Members take office.
The first event of the new Bar Year is a Reception sponsored by the Young Lawyers Committee, immediately following the Annual Stated Meeting. Please see Events for more details.
Other events (some family-friendly) held throughout the year, at reduced pricing for BCBA Members, include the following:
Lawyer Referral & Information Services
Attorneys interested in receiving screened referrals should consider joining the BCBA's Lawyer Referral & Information Service. More information is available HERE.
Weekly Email Notices
As a BCBA Member, you will receive weekly notifications of programs and events coming up the following week (The Week Ahead ...), and when the court requests notifications to be sent out to the membership (closing related to weather or power outages, etc.).
Originally The Bar Quarterly, and now The Advocate, this monthly newsletter is in its 30th year in publication, and remains members' number one benefit. This informative publication went completely digital as of July 2013, and can easily be found from the home page of its website (www.bcba.org). The current (and past) issues can also be found there.
Each issue includes information on currently-scheduled programs and events, court notifications from the District, Orphans, and Circuit Courts, as well as the Circuit Court Masters, reports on programs held (especially helpful if you were not able to attend), civil and criminal law updates, as well as other timely information from the local Baltimore County legal community. Please make sure to check out the advertisers who may provide you with the services you need.
Members can announce their move to a new location, change of contact information, or a small classified ad for FREE.